Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Want to Illustrate a Moment From This

Last night I dreamt I attended a reunion with all of my theater friends. The event was held under a moonlit sky in the middle of a corporate building's parking lot. Everyone was there, and everyone looked the same, just taller.

Shortly after arriving, little gnomes started to appear from nowhere. After a moment's time there were hundreds of them. The party guests were not worried from this, nor were they excited. It seemed as if I was the only one who actually noticed them. One, two, three, three hundred stout and pudgy gnomes, all wearing identical yellow long-sleeved shirts, blue trousers and pointy red hats. Their faces were also identical to one another- rosy cheeks, bulbous nose, gray hair, yet a somewhat youthful face. I looked to the tables set up near the corner of the parking lot- gnomes were popping up like a game of whack-a-mole. I turned to look at some of my friends- gnomes were darting past their knees, swift and unnoticed by all but me. I lifted my gaze to the rooftop of the corporate building- a chorus line of gnomes, all in silence, their painted smiles and glossy eyes staring at me, and their bodies swaying in unison- left, right, left right. I watched the rooftop gnomes for a while, half wondering if they were the paid entertainment, and half wondering if they would offer me a hat.

They never gave me a hat.

2 comments:

yrogerG said...

Let's go buy a gnome for the yard.

Alethea said...

That story gave me the creeps and made me slightly sick to my stomach. I'm not sure why 'cause I like gnomes, but it did.