Friday, May 29, 2009

Balance

I've been having trouble finding a balance between fun and responsibility. I've gone on great hikes, frequented my favorite restaurants, and explored all the fun local activities my neighborhood has to offer. Do I regret doing all these things? Of course not. But, I do feel like I've been ignoring quite a few tasks and chores that need to be done. There is so much to do- clean, clean, clean, paint, organize for a yard sale I'm having in a couple weeks, work out in the yard, clean, go to the dentist, order more contact lenses, clean, wash my car, take care of medical prescriptions, and clean. I haven't done those things. I should have done some of those things a long, long time ago. I get upset with myself for not doing these things in a timely matter.

So today I change that. It's my day off, and when I would normally be out kayaking, hiking, roller skating, doing ANYTHING that helps me melt away the stresses of the work week, I sit inside, blogging away while trees are being removed from my yard so we can build a fence and map out what we hope to be our beautiful back yard. After I finish typing, I'm heading out to buy more painter's tape, and then I'll paint the master bedroom. Hell, maybe I'll even vacuum today, or scrub a toilet- who knows where the day will take me. Adventures a plenty? Sort of (maybe not the toilet part). It's a step in the right direction of telling myself that even these moments, full of responsibility, tedious work and- well, toilet scrubbing, are shaping me, and helping me find that I'm not missing out on life when I'm taking care of my life. Does that make sense? I hope so, otherwise I'm going to go out for a bike ride and screw it all.

2 comments:

Shaun and Lisa said...

GO TO THE DENTIST!! I finally went after putting it off for like 8 years and I have $6,000 worth of work to be done :( But the bike ride does sound the best.

Frisbie's said...

it makes sense...