Saturday, May 9, 2009

Thank You, Farmers

Today marked the launching of this season's Beaverton Farmers Market. I don't know why I love going to the market so much. Well, yes- yes I do know why. Aside from The Soup Lady (I will learn her name one day), the nuns who make mustard, and the best tomatoes I've ever laid eyes on, the market is a place where I get to run into friends I don't normally hang out with. Cory, Kelli (not today, but one weekend, I'm sure)and even Babs made an appearance. Plus, I have a huge appreciation and admiration for everyone who hauls their butts out of bed before the sun comes up, and works that tired butt off to bring the public some of the finest products, and to make an honest living. It's a dying art, and I like to support it when I can.

There's something very welcoming about the people, and about this particular market in general. Beaverton is a fairly decent size city with- well- nothing to do. I actually don't hang out there unless I'm working or at the market, but on those Saturday mornings, in that parking lot by the library, I feel as if I've been transported into a small town....and I like it. I wouldn't live there, but when it comes to the market, I sure as hell like to visit.

I meant to bring my camera with me, but I left it in my car. Next time, I'll post pictures.

1 comment:

Alethea said...

Hey, I sent yr hubby a MySpace msg. Make him read it, you should too.

We have a super duper kick ass HUGE Farmers Market here in Raleigh that I live at in the spring, summer & fall. It's open 260 days a year. It fucking rocks.