Wednesday, August 13, 2008

haiku

wasted time online

so now i'll write a haiku

it's about nothing





I've spent most of my afternoon online so my inspiration levels are at a dreary low right now. I feel like I should make sure I keep this thing updated, but I guess I shouldn't force anything out, because I'm sure a forced entry (much like this one) will result in absolute tripe.



Who would want to read tripe? I know I wouldn't.



One interesting discovery was at dictionary.com. The word of the day is "chichi"



From dictionary.com:



chichi, adjective:Affectedly trendy.


"Going in gangs to those chichi clubs at Maidenhead."-- E. Taylor, Game of Hide-&-Seek


"Whether the chichi gender theorists like it or not, sexual duality is a law of nature among all highly evolved life forms."-- Camille Paglia


"The sort of real delicious Italian country cooking that is a revelation after so much chichi Italian food dished up in London."-- Daily Telegraph, January 22, 1969


"[Judith] Hope -- who lives in East Hampton, where the Clintons have a lot of chichi friends -- has been getting ink by the barrelful with her regular interviews quoting conversations with the first lady, on subjects ranging from Senate ambitions to summer and post-White House living arrangements."-- Washington Post, June 4, 1999


From the French word that literally means "curl of false hair"; used figuratively in the phrases faire des chichis, "to have affected manners, to make a fuss"; and gens à chichis, "affected, snobbish people." Sometimes spelled "chi-chi."





Now I know the correct pronunciation is "shee-shee" and not a phonetic "chee-chee". But, having grown up in a half latin family, and since I have the maturity level of a twelve year-old boy, "chee-chee" was always translated to "boobie". Regardless, I kept substituting "boobie" for "chichi". It made me giggle.



Ladies and Gentlemen, you have just been subjected to tripe. Congratulations.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:)


Ta ta! (as in byebye ::giggle::)

Oh, and I haven't shamelessly plugged my blog yet- so here it is: www.eehgads.blogspot.com

Woot.