Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New York City

Now that Greg is home, I have my camera back. So now, ladies and gentlemen (or the three of you that read these), I can share some of my photos from my trip to New York City....




We took a ferry to the Statue of Liberty. It had been sprinkling all day long, but I kid you not, the minute we stepped foot on the island, it started POURING. Luckily, I had bought a cheap umbrella from a stand in the city. Unluckily, it was a really cheap umbrella that kept flipping inside out. We were soaked by the time we were done with the tour.




I love Central Park. I had gone there the last time we visited NYC, and even though there are so many other sites to visit, I wanted to go back to the park. Greg teased me: "You've traveled across the country, from a state that's filled with parks, and you want to hang out at a park." What can I say? I love parks. But Central Park is way beyond an ordinary park. We ended up walking around the park for hours. Wow, this caption has the word "park" in it a lot.






Ok, don't laugh, but this was at another park. This time, it was Greg that wanted to stop at the park. It's called High Line Park. It stands about thirty feet above the city streets, on top of an old railroad line. The top photo was taken under a covering, and I thought the glass in the background was interesting. I thought the integration of urban and wild was well done.








There are many beautiful cathedrals in New York. We passed by a few, but the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine was one we really wanted to see . It was enormous and absolutely stunning. The unique blend of Romanesque and Gothic style gave the cathedral a look that was uniquely it's own. We tried taking a lot of pictures inside, but alas, my little Casio camera does not take the best pictures in dim lighting. Yes, I'm blaming the camera and not it's operators.








One positive about the rainy weather was the gorgeous night sky enhanced by the city lights and the hazy clouds. I shot these as we were walking back to the hotel. The ACE is only a couple blocks from the Empire State Building. Greg had been frequenting a Walgreen's while he was in NYC. It was about day three when he took another exit of Walgreen's and POW!- he was in the front lobby of the Empire State Building.

1 comment:

Shaun and Lisa said...

That looks like so much fun! I luv the pictures.